Tuesday, September 30, 2008

am i romantic?

"...of course you are"

gushed my wife as we sat down on the front porch on an ultra pleasant sunday afternoon. but as we perused the pages of this book together, i realized that my perception of romance, and hers, were vastly different.

ok, "vastly different" may be a bit of an exaggeration. but when sharon assured me that a slinky, alluring bit of lingerie that i imagined would look amazing on her was DEFINITELY NOT a romantic gesture...at least for her. i realized that our perspective's were not the same.

can anyone relate?

have you ever been sure....i mean...REALLY SURE that you were hitting a home run with your honey...only to discover how underwhelmed they were with your idea or gift...or at least how far off the mark you were?

have you ever desperately held on to the expression on your face as you opened a present before your sweet heart could see your un-enthused reaction?

yeah....me too?

so...do we stop trying? of course not! we continue to be students...the best kind of students. observing, paying attention, listening, trying, perfecting. sometimes it's more about the journey then the destination. keep it up!

less of me...

6 comments:

Amanda Mays said...

I love this post!!! Its so true men and women just veiw things differently. I can so picture you twos faces while having this conversation hahaha

I don't have any recent romantic stuff but I did just realize that chris and I have totally different tastes in décor and clothing. You'd think after ten years I would have seen this by now! We like nothing the same!

Lucky for me he's flexible enough to let my taste win out, but its still frustating to not be on the same page.

Pastor's Perspective said...

Thanks for this J! I loved your reference to the journey over the destination. Though as husbands we strike out sometimes...okay, OFTENTIMES; gotta give a guy credit who keeps stepping up to the plate. I'm living proof that even at 45 you can teach an old dog new tricks. As never before I really WANT to put on the cleats and swing for the fences and show my bride what she really means to me. Great blog J! These chicks God gave us! It's a NEW DAY. Batter up!

Natalie said...

While reading this post, I got to a certain part and completely went off into "La-La-Land."
When you wrote about opening a gift in front of your spouse...
My birthday. The Cheesecake Factory. The rebel.
Thank goodness you & Bart were blocking me in at the table or I would have BOLTED out and ran non-stop around the restaurant!!!
Yep that is what this post gave me today...
Thanks for the smile... (-:

Also, you may have just given a great post idea!






One last thing, promise. Second chances are great! Jeramy, we are having a bonding moment right now...

james said...

jeramy, you have truly touched a nerve. They say the best way to speak to people is to get on common ground with them. You have achieved that with men and hit the "oh yeah my man does that" mark with the girls. After 21 years in the game I have learned that I dont know jack about Steves proverbial Home run. I just know that it all starts on pitchers and catchers day, not five minutes before the game.

143N1

bronwenhealyhope said...

i just want to say as a friend and a sister, I am proud.
that's it, that's all i've got.....

Sharon said...

You are very romantic!

One very cool thing that I think was very romantic was when you let Erin ( www.erincobb.com) take our pictures! I love having pictures of us up in our room. It reminds me everyday that we are a team and I love to see how cute we are together! With our wedding picture and the recent pictures of just the two of us up, I'm reminded that I'd still pick you even after a bit over 10 years...

I love you!